Managers, players share their favorite Derek Jeter memories: ‘He kept coming through’

Derek Jeter is set to finally be enshrined in Cooperstown on Wednesday

Buck Showalter, Jeter’s first manager in the majors

New York Yankees' Derek Jeter smiles as he speaks about his 3,000th career hit at a press conference after a baseball game against the Tampa Bay Rays, at Yankee Stadium in New York.

New York Yankees' Derek Jeter smiles as he speaks approximately his three,000th career hit at a press conference after a three-hitter towards the Tampa Bay Rays, at Yankee Stadium in New York. (AP Photo/Kathy Kmonicek)

"The first time I noticed him was whilst he became a primary-spherical pick and they brought him to the Stadium. After I met him and his family, he went to the top step of the dugout to watch BP and I saw he become watching the whole thing. He had alert eyes. He became seeing matters peripherally. He become skinny and gawky, but you can inform he wanted to research and that by no means stopped. Whether it became figuring out how to play shortstop or how to be a big-leaguer, he become constantly looking for perfection. He understood the burden of his phrases and selected them carefully and by no means were given himself in trouble with the media. Do you know how difficult this is? It became irritating for the media, but Derek knew what it supposed to be an excellent teammate."

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON SPORT VIRAL

Brett Gardner, teammate during Jeter’s final game at Yankee Stadium, — Sept. 25, 2014, against the Orioles — when Jeter had a game-winning hit

"I probably keep in mind that stroll-off hit in his final recreation on the Stadium. I think loads of players and people there, understanding Derek and watching him play each day, kind of knew what became gonna appear before it even occurred. We had been able to envision it because we’d seen him do that sort of element in that form of moment for goodbye."

Brian Butterfield, coach who worked with Jeter after he made 56 errors in the minors in 1993

"Every shortstop struggles, however I may want to inform right away from our first verbal exchange — earlier than we even went on the field — that he had top notch aptitude. And it was obtrusive in his work ethic that he desired to do things the right manner. He wasn’t going to fail. I knew it become going to click on because he wanted to be a top notch participant and he wound up having a profound impact on me. He’s so sharp, with a magnetic persona. He’s a man you need to be around and epitomizes what a good subculture is."

Aaron Judge, met Jeter while Judge was in minors in Tampa:

New York Yankees' Derek Jeter jumps after hitting the game-winning single against the Baltimore Orioles in the ninth inning of a baseball game, in New York. The Yankees won 6-5. It was Jeter's last home game of his career at Yankee Stadium.

New York Yankees' Derek Jeter jumps after hitting the game-winning single towards the Baltimore Orioles in the 9th inning of a three-hitter, in New York. The Yankees won 6-5. It become Jeter's final home recreation of his career at Yankee Stadium. (AP Photo/Julie Jacobson, File)

"It become ’thirteen, whilst he became rehabbing his ankle there. I turned into sitting at my locker and he came up and said, ‘Hey, Aaron, it’s excellent to look you.’ I didn’t even assume he knew who I turned into. I suppose he appeared above me and saw my name plate at the locker. But it meant loads and I remember that whilst other younger or new guys come thru here."

Marcus Thames, teammate of Jeter’s twice

"I got here up as a rookie [in 2002] whilst he became already mounted after which got here returned in 2010 and he become doing the equal things. That consistency became great. He never changed who he changed into."

David Cone, teammate during Jeter’s rookie season in 1996

"I’ve by no means been around all and sundry greater in the moment. I say he’s the quality ‘flip the web page man’ I’ve ever been around: Yesterday doesn’t depend, the next day doesn’t remember. He’s right inside the right here and now. Really, from Day 1 he was that way … almost to a fault. At the stop of his career, I told him, ‘Hey, it’s OK to enjoy the experience and smell the roses a touch bit.’ His nature doesn’t truely allow for that. But he changed into nostril to the grindstone all the way via."

Ichiro, played with Jeter from 2012-14

"One of the hardest matters someone can do is do the identical issue every single day. I always thought Jeter turned into the type that had the ones traits. I got to play with him for 2 half years and that’s what he turned into. He wasn’t as drastic about it as me. I’m a bit bit sick, so nobody can evaluate to me. And he’d always say, ‘There’s every other one tomorrow. Until you win the World Series, you don’t show actual happiness.’ He changed into usually making ready for the next game."

Joe Girardi, teammate when Jeter was a rookie, manager at end of Jeter’s career

"Playing with him, you usually wanted him up in big conditions and having the ball hit to him in big conditions. The finest praise you may provide a player is you never must worry about them. And with Derek, you by no means needed to worry about something. He changed into always comfy. I noticed that as a rookie. Even in difficult conditions, he by no means modified who he was. He changed into by no means concerned approximately who might take his process or if he had a horrific day, having it change into two or three awful days."

Mark Teixeira, teammate, 2009-16

"The best piece of advice I got after I signed with the Yankees was from Tino Martinez, who told me, ‘Do what Derek does.’ That first year in New York after signing a big contract is such a whirlwind. Derek helped me navigate it. If there was a book about how to perform and act on the big stage, how to treat coaches, teammates, the fans and media, Derek should write it."

David Wright, Mets captain when Jeter was Yankees captain, Team USA teammate in 2009 World Baseball Classic

"With our schedule, our paths very rarely crossed, so I looked forward to playing with him for Team USA. I followed him everywhere and it was eye-opening how hard he worked for the player he was. Davey Johnson was the manager and we were playing an exhibition game and Derek wasn’t in the lineup. Derek didn’t like the way his swing felt, so he asked Davey if he could have some at-bats late in the game, which said something about him, since this was spring training. I was the DH, so Derek came in for me to get the at-bats, and to this day, I still have the lineup card with my name crossed out and Derek’s underneath it."

Joe Torre, Jeter’s manager from 1996-2007

"I had just gotten there in 1996 and we had Tony Fernandez, who was more established, but people kept saying Jeter was the guy. Then he had a bad spring and we were talking about different options, but he never changed. And we wound up letting him play and he went out that first game in Cleveland and made a great play and hit a homer and he was off the races. By August, our veterans were looking to him in key situations because he had become so reliable already. I had never seen that before in a rookie. And he kept coming through."

teesworldstore.com/spooky-night-classic-t-shirt-unisex/








Post a Comment

0 Comments